Sunday, June 1, 2014

King's Warrior

 King's Warrior by Jenelle Leanne Schimidt


 It is a kind of Lord of the Rings type of adventure filled with dashing heroes, evil villains, tons of excitement, a few wizards, and so many fun characters I was always meeting someone new - and growing to love them.

 The basic plot of the story is Princess Kamarie setting out to seek help for her father, who is preparing for war. Her job is to find the king's warrior, a man who is more than he seems. Along the way she meets many friends and foes, and learns a lot about herself. (That was probably a bad summery, but it had so many wonderful twists and tuns it is hard to sum it all up in just a few words.)

 When I first met Kamarie I didn't think I'd like her. She was one of the know-it-all princesses who felt too typical. However, as the story went on, Kamarie grows and learns from her mistakes. (Though not all of them, she never really looses her rash tongue which keeps getting her into trouble. However, I came to love this characteristic of hers. Think Pippin.)

 I adored Oreayn, the wonderfully brilliant squire who travels with Kamarie. He was everything a hero should be, daring, brave, and yet with just a touch of fear.

 However, my favourite character had to be Brant. There were times I wanted to throw my shoe at him because he REFUSED to tell anyone anything about himself - but in spite of this it made me love him all the more. He had this slight annoying mysteriousness, as if he took a great deal of pleasure in keeping almost everything about himself in shadow. He was grim, gloomy, and at the same time warm and loving. 

 Other things I loved about this book were the dragons - everything is better with dragons - wonderful Yole, the griffin, and the other mythical creatures.The whole story was one thrilling adventure with wonderful twists and turns. Recommended to anyone who loves fantasy tales.

 You can find Jenelle's website and blog HERE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment