Friday, December 5, 2014

Men of Iron

Men of Iron by Howard Pyle


I've been meaning to read this book for years, but I could never find a paperback copy and I am not fond of reading things on my computer. Therefore, it sat on my to read shelf until I had my teeth yanked out and a friend sent me a copy as a recovery gift.

Summary:
Young Myles Falworth is training to be a knight. His father was once a nobleman who had his lands taken from him because of the aid he gave a rebel. He is now scorned by the king and Myles has the desire to avenge him and gain back what is rightfully his. However, Myles must first learn to control his rashness, head strong nature, and stubbornness if he is ever to a noble knight.

I loved this book. Especially the characters. Myles, at first, got himself into a lot of trouble by his stubborn natural and will. However, some of the mishaps came from him standing up for those suffering His hate of injustice helped lead to one of the best character growths I've ever read.

Opposite in nature is Gascoyne, Myles' best friend. While Gascoyne goes along with everything Myles does, he has a gentler spirit which balanced Myles out. (I am convinced Myles wouldn't have become the man he did without Gascoyne.) Gascoyne held the same sense of justice but wouldn't have been as willing to stand up to those causing it without Myles at his side. Their friendship was fun and their devotion to each other inspiring.

The plot spans a good portion of Myles' life, so it isn't a fast paced book so much, though a lot of excitement takes up the span. (It has to with Myles, it isn't like he would just sit around and brood over his childhood. He has better things to do, such as standing up to bullies and picking fights when he's outnumbered.) The book also goes into detail on the knighthood ceremony. That was a slower chapter, but I enjoyed reading it. Bit of history sneaked in.

If I have any complaint about this book is that it was too short. About two chapters in I knew I would love Myles and want to spend more time with him. Sadly, his book is on the small side, so I had to content myself with only a short visit. Which means I will have to reread it.

This is another I highly recommend though. (Also, Howard Pyle wrote it, so what's to loose?)

No comments:

Post a Comment