Friday, April 24, 2015

Freedom Flyers

Freedom Flyers by J. Todd Moye


A study on the Tuskegee Airmen, from their start to later into the program.

I've loved hearing about the Tuskegee Airmen since they were briefly mentioned in my history book. I've been looking for books on them since, which I've had trouble finding. When I spotted this one at a book store I snatched it up.

I did enjoy this book, but it wasn't what I was hoping for. I wanted something which talked about some of the Airmen, and what they went through to be able to fight. While this went into detail about how the program was started and the work the men had to do to keep it going it only gave small glimpses at some of the Airmen themselves. I felt like I was getting an information dump and not a chance to learn about the actual struggles the men themselves went through.

Most of the book dwelt with the work Davis did in government. (Not that I didn't like learning about what he went through to keep Tuskegee going.) 

Another thing I didn't like as much is how the book jumped around. It jumped from one year to the next and then back. I got confused a couple of times.

Over all though the book is worth reading. I learned a lot about the Tuskegee program from this. I can't really hold much against it just because it reads like an essay and not a biography. I do recommend the book, It's fantastic and the Airmen were amazing. I loved reading about the men the book did mention.

I should mention here, in all fairness to the essay feel of the book I believe it was written as an actual college study. (If I understood the introduction correctly.) I don't think it was ever intended to be a biography. That said, if you have any interest at all in the Tuskegee Airmen, add this to your must read list.

No comments:

Post a Comment