Saturday, April 25, 2015

Watership Down

Watership Down by Richard Adams


When Hazel's brother Fiver foresees horrible things coming to their warren the two of them, along with a few other rabbits, set out on their own to find a place of safety and a new home. Along the way they face many life and death adventures and discover they are capable of doing things they never dreamed possible.

I've been wanting to read this book for years but wasn't able to find it when I went book hunting at local book stores. When I finally did find it I couldn't pass it up. I'm really glad I didn't.

There is a certain charm about this book I have trouble placing. It feels almost like a mix between Beatrix Potter and Redwall. It was enchanting but had a realism to it which almost hurt in certain parts. It was beautifully written and I couldn't put it down. I loved every moment of it.

The characters, of course, are rabbits. I loved all of them. They were so much fun. Fiver was sweet and adorable, Bigwig everything you'd want out of a military commander, and Hazel the reluctant leader who did what he had to and saved the lives of his friends. I adore Hazel. 

The distributions were real without being overwhelming. I wasn't shown the world of Watership Down but instead I was invited there and allowed to take it in in my own time. 

There were a couple battles and places where I was on the edge of my seat, and near the end of the book I was about to cry for a few seconds. The ending was excellent though, everything I wanted after spending so much time with Hazel and the others. 

Another part I liked was Kehaar, the sea gull. He reminded me of some sassy sea officer. I loved the parts with him and Bigwig.

The book is just amazing and a lot of fun. Everyone should read it at least once in their lives. After I finished I was in awe and had to spend the rest of the book just letting the story sink in. 

1 comment: