Thursday, May 12, 2016

"A soul?"

Samara's Peril by Jaye L. Knight


 I always have trouble reviewing books in a series because I don't want to give spoilers away. But this one I think I can safely say some things about because those who know about the books have an idea of what is coming.

 This book takes place sometime, about a year I think, after book two. The little hidden camp of followers of Elom has grown. They are starting to make a life for themselves and things are going fairly well, but trouble always lurks hidden away.

 After all of his struggles, Jace is starting to feel as if he belongs with his new friends but something is still holding him back. His fear he might not have a soul weighs on his mind, and after a tragedy that weight grows until it nearly crushes him.

 Other things worry him, such as new feelings he can't explain and a possible hope for the future. A future Jace didn't think he could ever have.

 Other trouble brews as well. An invasion and a plan to stop it take a small group back into great danger and battle, and again they face impossible odds.

 I can't say enough how much I love this series. It feels fantasy but still with enough of a historical feel that I sometimes wonder if I'm making reading about ancient Rome. Jaye is a masterful story teller and the world she has woven comes to life off the page.

 The best part for me is her characters. There are a lot in this series but they all feel so real. I love each of them, well most of them, in their own way and can't wait to spend even more books with them.

 This book had a lot of surprises, but also a lot of pleasant things which happened. And not so nice things. It left me with a burning need for book four though. I MUST have questions answered!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the review, Jack! I can see how this would be a hard book to review without spoilers. :D I had a hard enough time writing the back cover without giving too much away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree. This series definitely has a historic feel. I forget it's fantasy until I see the dragons. Great review!

    ReplyDelete