Monday, November 26, 2018

The Charmed Children of Rookskill Castle

The Charmed Children of Rookskill Castle by Janet Fox


Something is not right at Rookskill Castle, a rundown Scottish manor shrouded in mystery. The castle is a temporary boarding school for children escaping the Blitz, but soon it’s clear there is something terribly wrong. There are clues hinting that a spy is in the house, and there are undeniable signs of a sinister magic. When the children in the castle’s temporary boarding school begin disappearing one by one, it’s a race against the clock for twelve-year-old Kat Bateson, her two younger siblings, and their new best friend.

I was looking for something slightly spooky to read around Halloween, and Jennifer Nielsen wrote a review for this one so I figured what could go wrong? I was not disappointed.

I don't even know how to describe this book. It reminds me of A Drop of Night by Stefan Bachmann but for children. It has all the elements of being slightly spooky without keeping you awake at night hiding under your blanket with the lights on. It also has hints of a spy story in it which I loved.

It was a delightfully fun book, and Kat was everything a big sister should be. And there was a Peter, can I just say I've yet to meet a Peter character I disliked? Not to say it won't happen, it just hasn't happened yet.

Over all it was not as scary as I wanted, when I went looking for a spooky book, but it was perfect in so many other ways I didn't mind. And again, it is written for children so I get why the spooky was downplayed. Still, it was a lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment