Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Captive of Raven Castle

Captive of Raven Castle by Jessica Greyson


 I talk about Annabeth's War,, a lot. There are few words to explain how much I love that book. I love it so much I have it on both my ereaders and in paperback. When I found out she had another book coming out soon I was delighted. I thought she was going to end up being one of my all time favourite Authors - you know the one, where you buy every book or story they write because you love every word that they put to paper. I didn't think I should call her that though, not till I read another book by her. It seemed kind of unfair to the other Authors I loved, though if you get a new favourite Author from one book alone then it isn't the new Author's fault.

 Anyways, her second book FINALLY came out and I dashed to buy it. I was going to wait and read it till I could afford the paperback, but finally gave up on that idea. I don't have great patience when it comes to great books. I decided I'd re-read it and Annabeth's War, when I got the paperback.

 This book is about Alexandra and the wonderful and endearing Taleon. (Jessica writes some of the best heroes I've ever had the honour of spending a book with. I didn't think I'd be able to love Taleon, because I love Ransom - from her first book - so much. I don't think he surpassed Ransom, but he wasn't any less amazing. Ransom just has that special place in my reader's heart.)
 Alexandra is the sickly daughter of King Archibald. Her father's kingdom is in disarray, but it is of little concern to Alexandra who believes it is her task to get married and have an heir before she dies, which she believes will be soon after she marries. Everything changes when she is kidnapped by a band of rebels who take her to Raven Castle and insist her name is Cassandra and she is the daughter of Archibald's brother who was "killed" so Archibald could become king.
 With her life turned inside out, Alexandra must decide who she believes and which side of the coming battle she is going to help.

 Alexandra isn't one of those heroines it is easy to love right off. She is spoiled, a bit whiny, and thinks everyone in Raven Castle is out to make her life miserable. (Which, in a bit of fairness, it would seem like that were anyone in her place. They're trying to convince her that her father is a liar.) Throughout the story though, she grows and begins caring about those around her and her people who are suffering. By the end I was very fond of her.

 My favourite though was Taleon. Taleon is very devoted to his king, who is kind of like a father for him, and very loyal to his country. He wants to protect the people and keep them safe, and when Alexandra only tries to make this difficult or impossible he often looses his temper. He struggles to, with trusting Alexandra when the time comes to trust her, and I almost wanted to yell at him for it, but he is so sweet deep down I couldn't.

 I will forever recommend this book and Annabeth's War. They are must reads, and Jessica is an Author to keep an eye on, because I am now convinced anything she writes is going to be amazing. Her site can be found here. Jessica's Blog 

1 comment:

  1. I never got around to saying THANK YOU FOR WRITING THIS POST!!!!!!!!! Your reviews ALWAYS MAKE MY DAY THE BESTEST EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love the way you write, and the way you love my characters, it makes life just THAT MUCH BETTER. Thank you so much Jack!
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete