Saturday, May 17, 2014

The Shadow Things

 The Shadow Things by Jennifer Freitag


 Summary:
 Indi has grown up in Britain - I forget the actual date, but think St. Patrick. His whole life he has been taught about the gods of horses and thunder who ensue their wrath upon mankind while fighting each other. One day a man appears and he talks about another God, a God of mercy and kindness. 
 Very soon, Indi's village is thrown into confusion and hate as the villagers either grow to hate this man of God, or accept his God. And Indi's life is forever to be changed when he too accepts this new God, and is forced to stand by his new belief.

 I used to love Historical Fiction, but lately I've never found any to really like, at all. They go into WAY too much detail for my liking, especially when it comes to the Middle Ages. (This is, sadly, the reason I've never made it through a Steven Lawhead book though I'm DETERMINED to someday read all of his Robin Hood books.)

 When I first saw The Shadow Things I assumed it was going to be the same way - but one day it was free and I was looking for a ton of books to read over the summer. I didn't think this would actually make it into my summer reading, but I am SO glad it did.

 There was never a huge amount of time where the story was bogged down with history lessons or details about how life was so miserable back then. I felt like I was actually living with Indi, seeing all he did, feeling all he did, without being overwhelmed with unneeded facts. It was a nice surprise.

 Another thing I liked is that, unlike other Historical Fictions I've tried to read lately, I actually really grew to like these characters. I wanted them to be happy, while at the same time I didn't want them to compromise their beliefs to be happy. And I really liked Indi. He is the kind of hero one can cheer for.

 The time period of the book is stretched to take place over a year, or maybe two, but everything flowed very nicely. And the message was well handled and written. It kind of reminded me of The Last Sin Eater.

 There were some *coughalotcough* sad parts in it, but I was able to forgive the author my broken heart because it made the story feel more real. That is what would have happened back then, as sad as it was.

 It is a book I would recommend to everyone, and I now really wish to read more by the author. (Also, her sister wrote a book which is next on my to read list. From what I've seen her sister is just as good a writer as her.)
 You can find Jennifer's blog HERE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment