Sunday, June 1, 2014

The Spiderwick Chronicles

 The Spiderwick Chronicles by Tony DiTerlizzi and Holly Black

 I don't like most adult books and there have been few young adult books I've enjoyed. Therefore, all of this has taken me back to the Children's Section at the library. I've since discovered many books I've been able to enjoy. One of which was a series I heard a lot about when it first came out but never read.
 I got more interested in the series when the movie came out and I saw a sword on the cover. And still, it has taken me all this time to finally pick up the books. 



 There are five books in the first series and they recount the adventures of the Grace siblings - Mallory and her twin brothers Simon and Jared. The stories are more from Jared's point of view, which I didn't mind as I fast liked him.
 When their father leaves them, their mother movies to a run down house in a new town. The house stands by a forest and at first looks rat infested and dull. The children soon find themselves proven wrong. Their new lives will be anything but dull.


 This comes about when they learn that their great-great uncle was studying faries. They are soon shocked to discover that the faries are in fact real. Along with elves, dwarves, trolls, and goblins. The siblings are now plagued by all manner of fairy tale creatures, and it is up to them to save the world.



 The characters in this book were surprisingly well done. At first I thought it would just be a fun, little kids story. But the characters were very real and their adventures exciting and almost frightening at times. And, even better, all of them grew through the books! Whether it was to learn courage, kindness, or a willingness to give up everything for those you love.



 I was sad when the series ended and am not sure I want to read the second series because the Grace's will not be in it. I likely will, but I will miss them.

No comments:

Post a Comment