Monday, September 22, 2014

The Penderwicks of Gardam Street

The Penderwicks of Gardam Street by Jeanne Birdsall


I'm actually not supposed to be reviewing this one. This is one John, Clara, and Sammy read to me and they said they have to review it. That said, it was so cute I can't help but add my personal thoughts. 

I adored the first Penderwick book. It is hard not to fall in love with this family. Each of the sisters are so cute, and Mr. Penderwick is one of the best dad's who ever entered the book world. I was excited to listen to the second story and was not disappointed.

In book two we get to see the Penderwicks in their own home. But it is not a typical peek in on their lives, because they are thrown into chaos when Aunt Claire arrives with a letter written by Mrs. Penderwick just before she died. It is an order that Mr. Penderwick has to start dating so he won't be alone and sad when all his girls grow up and move away. Mr. Penderick and his daughters hate the idea of him dating and Rosalind forms a Save Daddy Plan. Their mission is to find him horrible dates so he will never want to go on more or worse, marry and bring home a step-mother. Meanwhile, Skye and Jane decide to switch homework assignments - which leads to disastrous results. Batty befriends the next door neighbor and her baby son Ben and together they spy on the mysterious Bug Man. And Rosalind has her troubles doubled when Tommy, the boy across the street, begins dating an annoying girl and his older brothers asks Rosalind to intervene. (As if she cares who he dates anyways!) One thing is clear, life is going to be anything but dull for the Penderwick family.

This book reminds me of some older stories I've read. The adventures are mostly just every day things nearly all families face - though minus the dating. Not all families have to come up with Save Daddy Plans. But everyone needs stories like this. We can all relate to homework troubles, to annoying neighbors, to playing in our yards and baking mishaps. It is fun to read enjoyable stories about things we all understand.

Also it was cute. One of the cutest stories I've ever heard. All the sisters are so much fun and Batty is adorable. I loved reading her adventures with Ben - the little neighbor boy.

And the ending. I was grinning from ear to ear over it. I adored the ending and cannot wait to read book three - rather, have it read to me.

I highly recommend it. To everyone. Because it is that much fun and that adorable.

1 comment:

  1. Plus it has a reference to Star Trek, which counts for at least one star.

    ReplyDelete