Sunday, October 18, 2015

Don't Give Up, Don't Give In

Don't Give Up, Don't Give In by Louis Zamperini


Louie Zamperini is my hero. The WWII POW who survived 47 days on a raft and then two years of torture and suffering in a Japanese POW camp only to return home and suffer PTSD. After God saved him Louie turned his life around to serve God by telling his story.

I've read Unbroken as well as Devil at my Heels, which is Louie's personal account of his time in the POW camp. This book, Don't Give Up, Don't Give In talks more about his later life and offers advice for young people.

Louie had a heart for the young, especially young boys. He wanted to help troubled youth who went through some of the same troubles he did as a boy. This book feels as if he has written it especially for the youth, but he also added stories which gave an even deeper look into his life. (One I hadn't heard before was when he went rock climbing in Wyoming and almost froze to death in a snowstorm.)

This book is shorter, but it still left an impact on me. Especially how Louie said over and over one shouldn't lose their sense of humor or love for life. As someone who has personally gone through hard times, and still is, these were wonderful reminders to me. Also I loved getting a look at how Louie never lost a small sense of his childhood and still saw the wonder in the world that most lose when they grow up.

I believe there are things we can all learn from Louie Zamperini's life, and any of his books are worth reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment