Monday, October 19, 2015

The Secret Abyss

The Secret Abyss by Darrell Pitt


This is the second book in the Jack Mason Adventures. I read and reviewed the first one when it first came out. Since then I think it's had a revision. I know for sure it has had a cover update and a new title. But even before all of that I loved it.

I don't want to go into too much detail with this book, since it would spoil things from book one, but I will give a brief summary.

The series is about a detective, Mr. Doyle, his assistant Jack - who used to work in the circus before his parents died - and Scarlet, a young girl who sole purpose sometimes seems to be annoying Jack.

Jack, Mr. Doyle, and Scarlet live in a Steampunk Victorian England. They fly airships, visit space, and almost die more than might be considered healthy but which is at least a lot of fun.

The books might be a little far-fetched, but that is one reason I love them so much. They are fun and exciting - and Steampunk! Also I love the characters. Mr. Doyle is brilliant, but with the slightly insane edge to him. (He eats moldy cheese he carries in his pocket.) Jack seems to live in his own little world half of the time, but when he joins ours he likes to spend his time doing impossible acrobats. And Scarlet...I can't put Scarlet into words. She is brilliant, bossy, but lovable. I especially like her and Jack together, nothing is ever dull with the two of them.

This book had the same wild adventure as the last, with the same vivid descriptions which were not over done but enough that I felt as if I were in Jack's world. I enjoyed every part of this book and will be picking up book three soon.

I recommend both this and the first book, but just go into them without the expectation of something serious and edge of your seat. These books are meant to be fun and impossible.

No comments:

Post a Comment