Monday, August 15, 2016

“Really?" "No. I'm being ironic. Or is it sarcastic? I can never remember." "Irony's cleverer, so you're probably being sarcastic.”

The Screaming Staircase by Jonathan Stroud


Summary: In a modern day London unlike one we know, ghosts run wild. As the years pass it becomes a bigger and bigger problem, which only worsens by the fact only children can see the ghosts and therefore fight them. 
Lucy is one such person. She joins a small organization called Lockwood and Co. Unlike other agencies in London, Lockwood's only has three members - young Lockwood himself, George who does the research, and now Lucy. Together they take on a next to impossible job, to fight the ghosts in one of the most haunted estates in England.

I don't really like ghost stories. Just not my thing. But I had this recommended to me over and over by friends I trust with reading so I finally decided to try it.

The characters are what first pulled me in. I loved all three, Lockwood, Lucy, and even George with his weird habits. (George is weird, plan and simple.)

The book had just the right about of scary but not terror to make it "can't read it at night because you won't be able to sleep for the rest of your life." It even had enough mystery with the characters - *Cough* Lockwood *Cough* - to make readers what the second.

If you are looking for the right amount of creepy in a ghost story then this book is certainly the one.

No comments:

Post a Comment