Thursday, October 20, 2016

“There it was, a sign above a shop that said 221B BAKER STREET. My mouth hung open."

Billy Boyle by James Benn


Summary: Billy has managed to just squeak through life, thanks to the help of his American Italian family. He barely passes school and his tests to get on the force with the Boston Police. But he manages and is made detective. Billy loves his life, but then Pearl Harbor is attacked. 
Because his dad and uncle lost a brother in the war they are determined to get Billy a safe job so that they don't have to risk loosing him as well. Billy is sent to London to work as a detective and keep peace between the Americans and English. This becomes harder than he ever dreamed possible when a murder is on the loose, a murdering spy who has gotten his hands on the D-Day invasion plans.

This book wasn't what I was expecting, but turned out to be much better. I loved the writing style and ease which the story flowed. I loved how the action showed up seemingly out of nowhere and left me on the edge of my seat. Best of all I loved the characters, especially a young man named Kaz. 

Billy is kind of a bratty character. A know it all, only out for what he can get kind. He barely tries, he is lazy, and hopes things will just be handed to him. But slowly all of that changes after he meets new friends and realizes just how important the job is he has been given. By the end of the book I loved Billy, his sass, but also his big heart he likes to pretend he doesn't have.

I am so glad this is the first book in a series and I will have so many more chances to see Billy. I am also glad this book turned out so well, as I took the risk of buying it before I had read it. Well worth the risk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment