Saturday, September 24, 2016

"Shh. He is close. " "Who?" "L' homme papillon"

A Drop of Night by Stefan Buchmann


Summary: 
Taken from Goodreads:
Seventeen-year-old Anouk has finally caught the break she’s been looking for—she's been selected out of hundreds of other candidates to fly to France and help with the excavation of a vast, underground palace buried a hundred feet below the suburbs of Paris. Built in the 1780's to hide an aristocratic family and a mad duke during the French Revolution, the palace has lain hidden and forgotten ever since. Anouk, along with several other gifted teenagers, will be the first to set foot in it in over two centuries.

Or so she thought.

But nothing is as it seems, and the teens soon find themselves embroiled in a game far more sinister, and dangerous, than they could possibly have imagined. An evil spanning centuries is waiting for them in the depths. . .

It isn't often I find a book I can't put down. And it is becoming even rarer. This book I came across after many disappointments, and I couldn't stop reading. Which I guess I should expect from Stefan since it has happened with his other two books.

I can't even describe this book. It is like an old fashioned ghost story with a Frankenstein ending. The twist is wonderful at the end - and for those who don't read ghost stories read this one, since it isn't an actual ghost tale.

Anouk was a little annoying at the start, but I think she was meant to be and I didn't hate her. She wasn't so much a tough girl as a girl who had been through something horrible and didn't want friends. (Another thing this book had going for it, FRIENDSHIPS!) She just wanted to get through life and maybe get her family back.

The other characters were wonderful, I loved Will. Will was probably my favourite.

This is a book I think everyone should read. It was delightfully scary - not in the you can't look outside your window at night scary but in your heart races and you have to get to the end. It was exciting, breath taking, fast paced, and something like an old fashioned Gothic tale. It is just an amazing book!

No comments:

Post a Comment