Wednesday, December 5, 2018

“I'd rather be in danger with you than be safe without you.”

The Twelve Kingdoms: Sea of Shadow by Fuyumi Ono


This is the first in a fantasy series written by a Japanese author and translated into English. it is a seven book series but, sadly for everyone but those who can read Japanese, only the first four books have been translated. 

The story is about a girl named Yoko, who lives a fairly normal life, attending High School and generally just trying to be a good girl so no one gets upset with her. All that changes the day a mysterious man shows up at her school, a man named Kieki. He is followed by monsters who attack Yoko and destroy part of the school. Yoko is then taken to another world where Kieki goes missing and she is left on her own with only a sword she can draw and monsters which fight her every day. Worn and to the point of death, Yoko seeks help but is no longer sure who she can trust after she is continually betrayed.

This was the second novel which was translated from Japanese I read and I loved every moment of it. I can't say this about all Japanese novels, since I've only read a few, but the ones I've read are incredible and filled with wonderful characters and story telling.

During Yoko's journey she meets an interesting cast of characters and because the reader feels as betrayed as she does when someone turns out to not be trustworthy it is hard to know who is there to help and who wishes her harm.

The pictures in this novel are lovely and make me wish so much I could get my hands on the manga just to look at the drawings. (There is also an anime which I started but watched episodes out of order by accident so need to start over.)

The story is exciting and well written and I can't wait to start book two.

No comments:

Post a Comment