Thursday, February 13, 2014

Wren

 Rachel Rossano is an Author who is starting to all about the publishing world - or at least seems to be. With good reason too. One, she has six books out! SIX! So, you don't have to wait ages for a new one. Another reason is as follows.

 Duty is the book which is talked about most out of all of Rachel's books, but I liked the cover of Wren more, so it has become the first of hers I've read.

 Summary from GoodReads
 A bounty hunter meets a denounced nobleman.

In her world, Wren Romany is as unconventional as they come. Born to a large, devout family and then forced out to fend on her own, she earns her living as a bounty hunter. As her second winter alone looms, she decides to stay in one place for the season. Seeking shelter, she offers her hunting skills in exchange.

Tourth Mynth, the master of the ruined fortress in the valley, needs help. His small household faces a hard winter. As son of a disenfranchised noble, he has plenty of space beneath his roof, but not much to eat. Wren’s offer seems a good fit.

Wren soon learns the residents of Iselyn need more than simply meat on their table. The valley’s residents squirm beneath a harsh master. Unsolved murder and betrayal lurk in the Mynths’ not so distant past. And Tourth’s battle with his emotional scars from the recent civil war will determine the fate of the whole valley.
 My Thoughts
 To be honest, a chapter or two into the book I didn't think I'd like it. I wasn't all that fond of Wren and thought she was going to be one of those girls who disliked men because she could do their job better than they could and she didn't need help from any man. There did seem to be moments like this throughout the book - and moments when other characters would think Wren couldn't do "man's work" till she proved she could knock the stuffing out of them. But it had some things going for it. Wren wasn't bossy - well, she had bossy moments, but usually it was because Tourth - the main fellow - needed sense talked into him. And she was fine with letting others help her. Also, the men weren't wimps. I can't stand it when the men are wimps. If I am going to read a book and there is supposed to be a hero in it I want him to at least act like one. The men were cool, and once Wren realized she didn't need to knock the stuffing out of Tourth and his buddies she was a lot more fun. (In her defense, she did this because of what the soldiers in her country did to girls who traveled alone. At least, that is the impression I got.)

 By the end of the book I was very fond of the characters, though this was one of those ones were I ended up loving the side characters more than the main ones. (The main ones were brilliant, but the side ones were just SOOO much fun!) Tourth has these three buddies who are his best friends and insanely loyal to him. And he has an adorable little sister. And four cousins - all whom are brothers - and they pick on each other non-stop. I loved them. I want a book to be written just about them I loved them so much.
 Also, I understood Wren. One of the few girl characters I could relate to. She didn't think it was beneath her to do "woman's work" she just liked to be outside more than inside.

 The plot was laid back. Nothing big and exciting ever really happens. There is a battle, but it is a bit small. Still, it was a good plot. More of a character development plot than a edge of your seat one. The ending was wonderful, I liked the ending, it made me happy.

 And there was one scene closer to the end I ADORED. Wren is stuck in bed so her new friends - all of the men - try to play nurse. And they try and feed her. It was one of the best scenes I've ever read. I almost woke my family up I was giggling so much.

 Even though it is mentioned how the soldiers threat some of the women there is no detail, or anything like that. It is a very clean book, with the use of a kind of off coloured word only used twice. Also, it is a romance, but not the mushy kind. (In fact, dare I say it, I would have actually liked a little more mush. But it was still a nice romance.)
 I cannot wait to read more of Rachel's books, and the rest of the stories about Wren's siblings. 

 You can find Rachel's blog HERE!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment