Friday, May 30, 2014

Violets Are Blue

 Violets Are Blue by Elizabeth Rose


 Lillian and Violet have been best friends since they were little girls and they believe their friendship is going to last for the rest of their lives. But this changes when Violet's family decides to leave England and move to America in the hopes of a better life. With an ocean between them, will Lilli and Violet be able to save their friendship?

 That is far too simple a summary. This is a friendship story, but it is also so much more. It is a family story, and a story about how God is with us through all of our trails. 

 There was a lot I liked about this book. In spite of it having been written by a fourteen-year-old there were really very few grammar and editing errors. Sometimes things would be repeated in a sentence, but I was able to enjoy the story in spite of it. And the characters were fun. I loved Violet's large family. The siblings acted like real siblings, and I am thinking Elizabeth likely got inspiration from her own family.

 If there was anything I didn't like about the story it was how Violet was around a young man she meets in America. He is very kind to her and her family and throughout the story she is cool toward him or snapping at him. I think the Author was trying to get something with that, such as the two of them liking each other and not wanting to admit it, but Violet's behavior was never explained and just felt like she was being rude for no reason. I don't think the Author intended for it to come off that way though.

 That aside, the story was enjoyable.....(Until things happened which I cannot talk about for spoilers sake.) And this is another book I would recommend, especially to younger readers. I am in fact disappointed it wasn't around when I was younger, it was just the kind of story I was looking for when I was about fourteen.

 You can find Elizabeth Rose's website HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment