Tuesday, September 16, 2014

The Maze Runner

 The Maze Runner by James Dashner


 I sometimes read books because of movies. Yes, I am one of those people. 

 I had this book recommended to me before I learned of the movie, but it was at a time when I was recommended at least ten books, and therefore, I forgot about it. Then I learned of the movie and saw the poster and decided I wanted to see it. Of course, my curiosity won out and I decided I'd read the book before I saw the movie. I am late coming into the Maze world, therefore, but I don't suppose that matters all that much except for the die hard Maze fans.

 Summary:
 Thomas wakes up in a dark box with no memory other then his name. When the box opens he finds himself in the muddle of a maze with at least forty other boys. The boys were sent there like him, one every month, and none of them have their memories. They make the best of life, however, surviving while trying to find their way out and not get eaten by horrible monsters called Grievers. But things are changing, and it all starts with Thomas' arrival, followed by the first appearance of a girl. Time is running out for them to escape, and Thomas might be the boys' only hope of survival, because he is the only one out of them who is convinced he's seen the maze before.

 I didn't know this was one of those future, the world is ending, stories. Normally I don't read those kind. I just never found any to prick my interest. However, I heard this was a friendship story and that was enough for me.

 I'm still not sure what I think about it. It kept me turning page after page. There were friendship stories in it. Lots of excitement and mystery. It didn't feel like an end of the world story. But there were some things which left me uncertain of my overall thoughts.

 First, things I loved. 

 The boys were brilliant. Alby sometimes drove me insane and other times had me loving him. I was never sure if I could trust him or not, while at the same time I believed he was the only one I could trust. I kind of like characters like that because you never know what they are going to do.
 Chuck, I loved Chuck. He was kind of the annoying little brother who never shut up and I don't see how anyone could not love him.
 I thought Gally was going to be one of the good guy characters because he's played by Will Poulter in the movie and he played Eustice. In my mind this means all his characters must me good. Ha. Ha. Ha. He had me fooled.
 Thomas was, not my favourite to be honest. I didn't mind him, but he wasn't someone who had me falling in love and wanting to spend hours and hours with and wishing I didn't have to say good bye when the book was over. I didn't hate him, but he didn't stand out much to me. Not that I felt like this took from the story any.
 Minho. I adored him. He was sassy and annoying and put people in their place. And he had a sometimes wicked sense of humor. 
 My top favourite though was Newt. I love Newt. I know, I have a bad feeling it is a bad idea to love Newt as much as I do, but I do. (I kind of saw something of a spoiler. Maybe. I'm not sure about it.) It took me a while to figure out why I love Newt as much as I do and I finally realized it is because he reminds me of my best friend. He is ornery, more caring then most of the others, keeps everyone together and keeps them going. He's the kind of character who stays in the background but who everyone needs without realizing it. He befriends everyone and no one had better mess with his friends. (And he nicknamed Thomas Tommy. I don't know why, but that just made me insanely happy.) So yes....not sure what more I can say about him. But I love him.

 The plot I thought was brilliant. It worked for memory loss. There were times I felt as frustrated over all the secrets as Thomas. I could feel how annoying his memory loss was.

 The things which left me with mixed emotions were Teresa. I'm not entirely sure what it was about her that left me uncertain if I liked her or not. She was barely in the book, as in she spent half or more then half passed out in a coma. I think my biggest issues is I am kind of tired of girls in stories who have flawless skin, perfect hair, and dazzling blue eyes. There is a strong part of me who wants the hero to fall in love with a wild haired girl with freckles because she has a fun personality.
 Personality wise, I know little of Teresa. As I said, she was in a coma for most of the book, but near the end she had more of a part to play. I think I might like her in book two, but since I haven't started it yet I can't say much.

 There was the constant, I guess it would be considered cussing. Only, without actual cuss words. While it wasn't as unendurable as other books which have done this - taking a cuss word and replacing it. Such as in this book it was shuck and klunk. It did get a little annoying, but I didn't want to throw the book across the room.

 Of course there was a heart breaking moment, two actually. One I am still trying to get over. Those who have read it know, those who haven't...well, just try and prepare yourselves.

 I don't think I'd recommend this as much as some of my favourites, but I did enjoy it and intend to make sure all of my friends have read it. It was good enough that I was glad to have book two safely in my possession.

No comments:

Post a Comment