Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Kate's Innocence

Kate's Innocence by Sarah Holman


Sarah is one of my favorite Authors. I am always happy when she has a new book out and I get impatient between books. This book was not exception, but I ended up loving it even more when Sarah sent it to me as a gift. A book becomes ten times better when your favorite Author surprises you with a copy just because, review free. (I'm reviewing it anyways because I loved it.)

Unlike Sarah's other books this one takes place in the present and involves the FBI. Kate is being accused for blowing up her school. A team of FBI agents has been called in to investigate the case, with them Patrick. Everyone believes Kate is guilty, everyone but Patrick, but is he willing to put his job on the line to believe a young woman he knows nothing about and who hides so much about herself?

I've gotten tired of the plot line where a girl is framed/ accused for something. Has hidden secrets. Family issues, or something along those lines, and a handsome young man shows up and instantly makes her world better. Most of these books are the same, she falls in love with him but won't admit it. He falls in love with her but fights it for some reason. Then something happens and the book ends with them kissing as the sunsets. 

When I saw Sarah's book had kind of the same plot line I knew I'd still end up giving it a chance because I love her style. I am so pleased I did.

Kate's Innocence has some of the same basic plot themes as other books like it. Kate has her own pile of hidden secrets. She has family issues. Patrick clearly likes her but didn't want to admit it. That's where a lot of it ended though.

Kate spent time in the army. Though she won't admit it she clearly suffers side effects from the things she has seen but she doesn't want to talk about them. This I found much more believable. Someone who has lived through something horrible often won't want to bring up the memories. There's hinted issues with her dad but nothing was brought up. I think it will show up in later books.

Patrick finds himself drawn to Kate, but nothing much comes out of it in this book. He keeps himself a little aloof from her, again for a reason I found believable. While he wants to believe she is innocent, all of the facts point to her and he feels unsure of himself. After all, who should he trust? A girl he just met or his boss who is convinced she is guilty?

Another thing I LOVED were the side characters. They weren't just there to fill in space. They had life, personality, and I want to spend more time with them. (Especially Logan. I loved that girl.)

This book is fast paced. It's perfect for the kind of story it is - a race against the clock to find the bad guy.

There were many questions left unanswered, but since this is a series that is to be expected.

The story is wonderful, has nice plot twists, and the characters are life like and amazing.

I can't wait for the next book in this series!

No comments:

Post a Comment