Thursday, January 7, 2016

Resist

Resist by Emily Ann Putzke


Summary: A fictionalized telling of the Hans and Sophie Scholl story. The siblings started a press called the White Rose where they wrote and distributed anti-Nazi leaflets. With some of their friends they work at the secret underground resistance, knowing death awaits them if they are ever caught.

When I first heard of this book I wanted it. I'd not really heard of Hans or Sophie before this book, not even when I was grabbing every book that had to do with WWII. The more Emily talked about her newest book the more I wanted it and had to pretend I was being patient until she published it and started to look for ARC readers. Of course I jumped at the chance to read it before it was printed.

Hans and Sophie were both amazing people. The book, written as a "last confession" by Hans, gives the readers a glimpse into their early childhood and later into the work they did with the leaflets. The book also shows their beliefs and how strongly they stood for them.

I loved so much about this book. Even though it was the fictional telling of a true story it felt real and believable. I felt as if Hans were the one writing the story, which shows how much research Emily put into this book.

The characters, if they can even be called that. Getting to meet Hans, Sophie, and their friends like that - it made them feel so real. Their story is heart wrenching and inspiring. This is one book I could recommend to everyone over and over and I plan to reread it once I can get my hands on a paperback copy.

Hans and Sophie Scholl, their friends who worked with them, should not be forgotten. Emily has done her best to ensure their story will be told in an all new way and I cannot praise this book enough. It will be releasing February 22nd, and take my word for it, you're going to want to make the date down.

No comments:

Post a Comment